Dal Makhani or Maa ki Dal as called by hardcore Punjabi's.It is one of the important part of the North Indian Punjabi Cuisine.Its a signature dish in the menus of most restaurants may be its a roadside dhaba or a classy restaurant..and loved by everyone ..goes with everything as it have such a rich and creamy texture and taste.Its just perfect and as u know perfection cannot be improved but u just like it the perfect way..The only thing that is important for making it perfect is time ..u should have a little time in hand to cook this dal if you want to relish the taste.
- 1 Cup whole black urad dal(Black Lentils)
- 1/4 cup Rajma(Red kidney beans)
- 2 tbs of Chana dal(Split Black gram Lentils)
- 1-2 medium onions chopped
- 2 tomatoes pureed
- Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1tsp garam masala
- 1tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 cup cream
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak the dals ,and rajma overnight
- Combine the dals, and salt with 3 cups of water and pressure cook till the dals are overcooked.
- If you don't have cream handy,you can add the milk and 1 cup of water to the dals and simmer for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat and add the cumin seeds,add the onions and ginger-garlic paste and sauté till the onions turn golden brown,then add tomato puree.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander powder,garam masala powder and when the oil oozes out of the mixture,its ready.
- Add this to the dal mixture and simmer on low heat till the Dal is thick and creamy.Just let it simmer while stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with a dollop of butter and serve hot with Naan/Roti.