Its one of the most relished sweet dish in the winters and takes me back to the flavours of a famous halwai(Who makes sweets) in my native place.In the cold winters everyone loves eating this hot and nutty halwa.It brings in the best after any meal.Its like a tradition in North India in every home to cook it in winters .
- 2 lbs carrots(Makes approx 7-8 cups of shredded carrot)
- 4 cups milk
- 10-12 Almonds, Cashews and Raisins each.
- 100gms Khoya/Mawa/curdled milk
- 2-3 Cardamoms powder
- 3-4 saffron strands
- 2 cup Sugar
- 3-4 Tbs Ghee/Clarified Butter
For every 4 cups of carrot add 2 cups of milk and 1 cup of sugar.
- Wash ,Peel and grate the carrots using a grater or food processer .Use the medium size for grating , do not grate it too thin.
- Boil the milk in a wide opened pan and carrots to it .
- In the meanwhile take a pan add Ghee/Butter to it and lightly fry the Nuts.Keep them aside.
- Keep stirring in between and let it cook till the milk evaporates.
- Add sugar, add only when the carrots are cooked .
- Take the saffron and mix it in a little milk and add to the pan , also add cardamom powder to it.
- When the milk and sugar is evaporated then add the Khoya/Mawa to it and cook further for few minutes, the color will turn to dark orange.
- Put in the ghee to the mix and give it a good stir , cook further till it leaves the side of the pan.Add the nuts to the mix.
- Ready to eat, Taste delicious when served Hot,umm lemme go and get a bite of it now.
I have made this again on Diwali ,So reposting this recipe with some new images.