I use to have so many ppl around me who use to express their love for Biryani , yes ofcourse Chicken Biryani and i have heard so much about the Hyderabadi Biryani that i actually wanted to taste it .One of my friends used to cook Chicken Biryani with so much effort and looked so tempting that i thought of making Vegetable Biryani to satisfy my urge for Biryani.This post was in draft for quite some time as i was never able to click pictures when i made it , still i managed to take some pictures in a jiffy will update more the next time i make it or rather the next time i have time after making it ,i make it quite often and my guests always love it .Though its a long process if you make it the complete way , but i like to add it on my dinner table occasionaly and it makes it looks so colorful.If you haven't tried it yet ,i m sure you gonna fell in love with it too.
- 2 Cups Basmati Rice washed n soaked
- 1-2 Onion Chopped
- 1 Tbs Ginger/Garlic paste
- Carrots, Beans, Cauliflower cut into big pieces(U can use any veggies of your choice)
- 1 Cup thick yoghurt, whisked
- 1 tbs Chilli powder
- 1 tbs Garam Masala
- 1tbs coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1-2 Bay Leaves
- 1 -2 Green cardamom pods
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 1-2 Cloves
- Boil Rice in a pan and add cinnamon stick and cloves to it while boiling and a little salt .Drain the Rice add 1 tbs of Ghee to it.Keep it aside.(Boil the rice Al dente just as you do the pasta ,don't cook it completely.)
- Blanch the veggies like carrots and cauliflower by putting them in hot water for 3-4 minutes.
- Heat Oil in a pan on medium heat and add the whole garam masala to it .
- Now add the ginger-garlic paste and add chopped onions to it.
- Add the Vegetables to it and fry them ,add the spices to it and cook further.
- Pour in the yoghurt on the veggies and switch off the heat.
- Now take a Oven safe pan and add a layer of rice to it ,and then a layer of veggies, beginning and ending with rice.
- I usually add Garam masala or Chaat Masala after every layer and some fried onions(Store bought or home made) .
- Top it with roasted Cashews.
- Its the time to add color to it , take some orange and yellow color dissolve them in two bowls separately and with the help of a spoon pour them in the rice at a distance, so that it goes in down till the last layer.
- Bake it for 10-15 minutes or you can cook it on stove top.
- If you are egg eater add some hard boiled eggs to the plate or you can use some potatoes, cut into halves by dipping them in orange color and deep frying them.
- Serve Hot with Dal Makhani or Raita.
I am sending this to Food Palette series Finale at Torviewtoronto, Whats for Friday Dinner at Cooking concepts and My favorite dish event at Amma ji recipes