I have been always inspired with the Kashmiri Cuisine as they have some world famous recipes and the spices they have are really awesome.Kashmir is a heaven on earth as they say in India, i have not been lucky enough to visit it yet but gonna go there for sure, but i have some kashmiri friends so i think m gonna visit them soon.This dish is always called as Kashmiri Dum Aloo but i think its cooked in almost every home in North India.I believe every1 has its own version of Dum Aloo.Here goes my version with my secret ingredient ..
- 10-12 small potatoes peeled
- 2-3 Onions pureed
- 2-3 tomatoes pureed
- 1 tbs ginger-garlic paste
- 1 star anise( secret agent ;))
- 1 -2 cardamom pods and cloves
- 1 small Cinnamon
- 1tbs Saunf powder (fennel seed powder)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 cup curd whisked
- salt to taste
- Peel the potatoes and prick them at few places with the help of fork.
- Heat Oil in a pan and deep-fry the potatoes till they are cooked.
- Heat Oil on medium heat in a pan and add the cloves, cinnamon and cardamoms and Star Anise
- Add Cumin seeds,When they crackle, add the ginger -garlic paste n pureed onions paste and sauté it till it changes color.
- Add the tomato puree and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add a cup of curd to it and simmer further.
- Now Add in the fried potatoes and keep covered on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Enjoy with Naan/Roti or Rice.