15th August,India's Independence day and as we celebrate the 65th year of our independence we once again salute to all those great leaders who gifted us this day.So m celebrating this day while making some colorful things this week . Starting with idlis..Idli is a very special part of the meal of people who live in the southern India.It is made of rice or suji. Idli tastes great with sambhar and coconut chutney but the best part about idli is its a great snack too and can be altered in a number of ways .You can actually get real creative with it .
- 1 Cup Suji/Rawa/Semolina
- 1/4 cup Yoghurt/curd
- 1tsp ENO Fruit salt(you can get it in any Indian store)
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 carrots grated
- 1 Green pepper chopped
- 1Tbs Mustard seeds
- 1-2 Tbs Oil
- 1/2 cup cabbage finely chopped
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- Mix Suji and yoghurt in a bowl nicely and divide it into two equal portions in separate bowls.
- In the 1st bowl add grated carrots , salt and orange food color and mix well.
- In the 2nd bowl add chopped green pepper, salt , green chutney or green color and mix well.
- Now Add the Eno fruit salt in the batter only when you are ready to steam them one after the another.
- Grease the idli stand so that the idli doesn't stick when you take them out.
- Pour a ladle full of batter into idli plates and steam cook them for 15-20 minutes till they are done.
- You can check if they are done by inserting a knife and if it comes out clean, its done.
- Now rest them for 2 minutes and then take them out and cut into two halves.
- You can proceed similarly and cook both the batters.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat and add mustard seeds.
- When it splutters add some curry leaves.
- Now add the onions and fry it lightly and then add cabbage to it .
- Add salt and chilli powder if desired.Don't forget that you have already added some salt to the idli's so be careful.
- You can add the idli's to it now, stir them for a min.
- And your Idli Tikka is ready for a bite.