I tried this dish @Olive Garden and absolutely loved it so thought of making it at home ,i was never so creative with Eggplant, as thinking of raw eggplant(Brinjal) in a sub made me feel yucky but this is a really wonderful Italian dish and i did a little desi version of it so it can fit in our kind of food.You can serve it for a snack or for a meal.
Ingredients: Serve 2- 3 ppl
- 1Eggplant (The really big ones)
- All purpose flour
- 2 Eggs
- 2-3 Bread Slices
- Marinara Sauce/Salsa or Tomato sauce made at home
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Oregano(Italian herb)
- Red Chilli Flakes
- Black Pepper
- Salt to taste
- Wash and Peel the skin of the eggplant and cut it into thin round slices.
- Take a bowl beat the eggs in it a little.
- In a blender ,turn the bread slices into bread crumbs and add the spices into the bread crumbs.
- Dust the eggplant with flour and Dip into the egg and then wrap them in the bread crumbs mixture
- Heat the Oil in a skillet and fry them really well, or u can bake them on a cookie sheet instead .( i prefer frying them as eggplant that too raw scares me a little)
- Now preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Layer a baking pan with Marinara /Salsa/Tomato sauce and Eggplant and cover it up with Mozzarella cheese ,Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses.
- Bake it for 30 Minutes
- Serve it Hot with Noodles or Chapati
You can get the Marinara sauce in any Grocery stores or you can make it at home(Will soon post the recipe), for those who don't eat Eggs you can avoid it and just dissolve the flour in little water ,dip the eggplants and then wrap in bread crumbs and the rest is same.Believe me give it a try you gonna start liking eggplant.
If you like it please post your comments.