Today is RakshaBandhan,The name Raksha Bandhan means "the bond of protection". The festival (also known as Rakhi) celebrates the relationship between brothers and sisters. During the festival, sisters tie a rakhi (a holy thread) around their brothers wrists. The brother in return vows to look after his sister, and offers her a gift.
The best part of this festival is ofcourse Gifts..lots of gifts and cash for sisters and some gifts now even for brothers and lots of sweets and chocolates.So while you are far from ur brother or sister you still send them Rakhi and ask them to tie on your behalf and i am doing the same for last few years...though i m missing my bro but distance can't keep you apart ,they are always in your heart...Right..
So wishing all the handsome brothers and their beautiful sisters a very Happy RakshaBandhan.I made Kheer today to celebrate this day very simple to make yet a delicacy to eat,m addicted to its fineness, softness and tender loveliness since childhood.
- 3-4cups Milk
- 1/4cup basmati rice
- Chopped almonds,pistachios,raisins(Any nuts)
- 3-4 Tbs Sugar or more to taste
- Few Saffron strands
- Bring the Milk to a boil in a large saucepan while keep stirring it so that it doesn't stick to the bottom and meanwhile dissolve the saffron in a bowl in a spoonful of milk
- Add the Rice and saffron milk to the pan and simmer over low heat untill the mixture thickens and the rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Now add in the sugar and stir n the chopped nuts and cook for few more minutes.
- Serve hot or chilled ,at my home every1 likes it chilled.