Lentils are to India as meatloaf is to America: the comfort food.
For all those Singles or Husbands whose wifes or families are out on a holiday and then you have to experiment with the food to satisfy your hunger.Some easy tips and recipes to cook .
Moong Dhuli (Yellow small dal) - 2-3 Whistles
Arhar/Tuvar(Yellow round dal ) - 2-3 whistles
Chana(Yellow split gram dal )- 4-5 whistles
Urad Dal(White color dal) - 2-3 whistles
Black split Urad dal(Black color dal) - 4-5 whistles
Masoor dal(Brown /orange color dal) - 3-4 whistles
Ingredients: Serves - 1-2 ppl
- 1 Cup dal
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped tomato
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1tsp Garam Masala powder
- 1tsp Corianader powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Cilantro to garnish
- Wash/Rinse the dal throughly till water is clear , by draining it 3-4 times.
- Now as u will not be able to soak the dal in water for sometime , No worries .Add the washed dal in a cooker , add 2 cups water to it and add salt and turmeric powder .
- Pressure cook it for 2-3 whistles on medium heat and turn off the heat.
- Now prepare the tadka and do not open the cooker till the steam is all gone say for 10 minutes.
- Take a pan add oil/ghee on medium heat, add cumin seeds ,asafoetida & garlic to it.Wait till it turns light brown.
- Add the chopped onion and saute it till light brown and then add tomatoes to it.
- Mix in all the spices and stir it further for few minutes till the oil separates.
- Now check the cooker if the steam is finished and check if the dal is cooked then add tadka to it.
- Let it cook further on medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- If the dal is uncooked still add the tadka to it ,Also check if the water is less you can add another cup to it, but now give it another whistle and do not open till the ...u r right ..steam is finished.
- Add a little garam masala n Garnish with cilantro. Enjoy while missing ur wife/Mom .