This is one of the most popular Indian desserts called with various names as sewai/Jawe/Vermicilli and a very special food in Muslims and is specially made on thier festival eid .It can be made as kheer or just plain using water instead of the milk.You can prepare it well in advance and enjoy later too as it stays good for few days in fridge .
Ingredients: serves 3-4 ppl
- 1 cup Vermicilli/Sewai/jawe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 cups Milk
- Few strands of Saffron
- 1tsp Cardamom powder
- 7-8 Almonds & Cashews
- 5-6 Pistachios
- 1 tsp Ghee/Clarified butter
- Heat ghee in a pan, add sevai in it & shallow fry it on low heat till it becomes slightly brown.
- Now pour the milk in it & let the milk boil for 10 min.
- Meanwhile take a small bowl & add 3-4 tsp milk in it, then add 4-5 sticks of saffron mix it well & keep it aside.
- Now add safron milk in the pan and again allow it boil for 5 min,add cardamom powder as well.Let it cook on slow heat and keep stirring in between so that the milk does not sticks to the the bottom.
- Then add sugar, and the nuts to it .
- If kheer looks very thick (sevai suck more milk) then you can further add some amount of milk.
- Serve Chilled or hot as you wish, i like it chilled .